- The definition of metabolize is when an organism undergoes an organic or chemical process that is necessary for life.
An example of metabolize is for the body to use up the calories in foods.
- metabolizable adjective
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
verb me·tab·o·lized, me·tab·o·liz·ing, me·tab·o·liz·es verb, transitive
- To subject (a substance) to metabolism.
- To produce (a substance) by metabolism.
- me·tabˈo·lizˌa·ble adjective
metabolize - Medical Definition
- To subject to metabolism.
- To produce by metabolism.
- To undergo change by metabolism.
metabolize - Science Definition
Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.