to reach the maximum, or limit: usually with out: classroom capacity maxes out at 30
- to cause to reach the maximum or limit: a company that maxed out its line of credit
- to exhaust or use up (a resource, capacity, etc.)
to the max
to the greatest possible degree
a masculine name: fem. Maxine
The maximum: The car can seat five adults, but that's the max.
Maximally: We'll pay $250 max.
intransitive verbmaxed, max·ing, max·es
- To reach one's limit, as of endurance or capability: The weightlifter maxed out at 180 kilograms.
- To reach a point from which no additional growth, improvement, or benefit is possible: The salary for this position maxes at $65,000.
(third-person singular simple present maxes, present participle maxing, simple past and past participle maxed)
Abbreviation of maximum
- A male given name.
- female form: Maxine
- Denotes maximum dimensions of a vessel that can travel through the given canal.
- Panama Canal → Panamax
- Suez Canal → Suezmax