- An example of something matin is a service held at dawn.
- An example of something matin is a prayer to be sung in the morning.
The definition of matin is something related to the hours between midnight and dawn, or morning prayers.
- R.C.Ch. the first of the seven canonical hours, orig. recited between midnight and dawn, but often at daybreak, usually joined with lauds (matins is now called the Office of Readings)
- Anglican Ch. morning prayer
- Old Poet. a morning song, esp. of birds
Origin of matinEarly Middle English matyn ; from Old French matin, plural matines ; from Ecclesiastical Medieval Latin matutinae (vigiliae), morning (watches) ; from Classical Latin matutinus, of the morning, after Matuta, goddess of dawn: see mature
- of matins
- of morning
Of or relating to matins or to the early part of the day.
Origin of matinMiddle English, from Old French, sing. of matines, matins; see matins.
- of or relating to matins
- (obsolete) morning