- An example of something matin is a service held at dawn.
- An example of something matin is a prayer to be sung in the morning.
The definition of matin is something related to the hours between midnight and dawn, or morning prayers.
- [oftenM-] [pl., usually with sing. v.]
- R.C.Ch. the first of the seven canonical hours, orig. recited between midnight and dawn, but often at daybreak, usually joined with lauds (matins is now called the Office of Readings)
- Anglican Ch. morning prayer
- Old Poet. a morning song, esp. of birds
Origin of matinEarly Middle English matyn from Old French matin, plural matines from Ecclesiastical Medieval Latin matutinae (vigiliae), morning (watches) from Classical Latin matutinus, of the morning, after Matuta, goddess of dawn: see mature
- of matins
- of morning
Of or relating to matins or to the early part of the day.
Origin of matinMiddle English from Old French sing. of matines matins ; see matins .
- of or relating to matins
- (obsolete) morning