an electric generator in which one or more permanent magnets produce the magnetic field; esp., a small machine of this sort connected with and run by an internal-combustion engine, used to generate the electric current providing a spark for the ignition
Origin of magnetosee magnet
- magnetism, magnetic force: magnetometer
- magnetoelectric: magnetohydrodynamics
Origin of magneto-see magnet
A device that produces alternating current for distribution to the spark plugs, used in the ignition systems of some internal-combustion engines.
Origin of magnetoShort for magnetoelectric machine.
- Magnetism; magnetic: magnetoelectric.
- Magnetic field: magnetometer.
Origin of magneto-From magnet.
- A small magnetic dynamo, especially one that provides power to the spark plugs of a small internal combustion engine. [from 19th c.]
Clipping of magneto-electric.
- Alternative form of magnet-.