- in betting, a choice that has only a slight chance of winning and, hence, carries great odds
- any venture with only a slight chance of success, but offering great rewards if successful
- Film, TV a scene shot with or as with the camera at some distance from the subject or action
See long shot in American Heritage Dictionary 4
- An entry, as in a horserace, with only a slight chance of winning.
a. A bet made at great odds.
b. A venture that offers a great reward if successful but has very little chance of success.
- A photograph or a film or television shot in which the subject is shown at a relatively small scale.
Learn more about long shot