- in ancient Semitic folklore, a female demon or vampire that lives in desolate places
- Jewish Folklore
- the first wife of Adam, before the creation of Eve
- a night witch who menaces infants
Origin of LilithClassical Hebrew (language) l?l?th from Assyr-Bab lil?tu, literally , of the night
- An evil female spirit in ancient Semitic legend, alleged to haunt deserted places and attack children.
- The first wife of Adam in Hebrew folklore, believed to have been in existence before the creation of Eve.
Origin of LilithHebrew lîlît from Akkadian lilītu from Sumerian lilla a demon