- a pet dog small enough to be held in the lap, often, specif., one that is pampered
- a fawning or submissive person
Also written lap′dog·
- A small dog kept as a pet.
- Informal One eager to do another's bidding, especially in order to maintain a position of privilege or favor: “a bunch of intellectual lap dogs for anybody who holds a big job in government” (Mike Barnicle).
(plural lap dogs)
- A small dog, kept as household pet, whose light weight and companionable temperament make it both suited and disposed to spend time resting in the comfort of its master's lap; a dog bred to behave in this manner.
- (idiomatic, by extension) A person who behaves in a servile manner, such as a sycophantic employee or a fawning lover.
- Alternative form of lap dog.