A beautiful lagoon.
Lagoon is defined as a shallow body of water separated from the ocean or from larger bodies of water by a reef or other barrier.
An inlet off of the Pacific Ocean that is separated from the ocean by a coral reef is an example of a lagoon.
- a shallow lake or pond, esp. one connected with a larger body of water
- the area of water enclosed by a circular coral reef, or atoll
- an area of shallow salt water separated from the sea by sand dunes
Origin of lagoon; from French lagune and amp; Italian laguna ; from Classical Latin lacuna: see lacuna
- A shallow body of water, especially one separated from a sea by sandbars or coral reefs.
- A shallow artificial pond used for treating or storing liquid waste material or for collecting flood waters.
Origin of lagoonFrench lagune and Italian laguna, both from Latin lac&umacron;na, pool, hollow, gap, from lacus, lake.