A beautiful lagoon.
- Lagoon is defined as a shallow body of water separated from the ocean or from larger bodies of water by a reef or other barrier.
An inlet off of the Pacific Ocean that is separated from the ocean by a coral reef is an example of a lagoon.
- a shallow lake or pond, esp. one connected with a larger body of water
- the area of water enclosed by a circular coral reef, or atoll
- an area of shallow salt water separated from the sea by sand dunes
Origin of lagoon; from French lagune and amp; Italian laguna ; from Classical Latin lacuna: see lacuna
- A shallow body of water, especially one separated from a sea by sandbars or coral reefs.
- A shallow artificial pond used for treating or storing liquid waste material or for collecting flood waters.
Origin of lagoonFrench lagune and Italian laguna, both from Latin lacūna, pool, hollow, gap, from lacus, lake.