- an orange-colored, oval fruit about the size of a small plum, with a sour pulp and a sweet rind, used in preserves and confections
- a tree (genus Fortunella) of the rue family that bears this fruit
Origin of kumquatCantonese kam-kwat ; from Mandarin chin-chü, literally , golden orange
- Any of several trees or shrubs of the genus Fortunella, having small, edible, orangelike fruit.
- The fruit of any of these plants, having an acid pulp and a thin, edible rind.
Origin of kumquatCantonese gam1 gwat1; akin to Mandarin j&imacron;njú : j&imacron;n, gold (from Middle Chinese kim) + jú, mandarin orange (from Middle Chinese kjyt; probably akin to Khmer kwic).
- A small, orange citrus-like fruit which is native to Asia, Fortunella.