- an orange-colored, oval fruit about the size of a small plum, with a sour pulp and a sweet rind, used in preserves and confections
- a tree (genus Fortunella) of the rue family that bears this fruit
Origin of kumquatCantonese kam-kwat from Mandarin chin-chü, literally , golden orange
- Any of several trees or shrubs of the genus Fortunella, having small, edible, orangelike fruit.
- The fruit of any of these plants, having an acid pulp and a thin, edible rind.
Origin of kumquatCantonese gam1 gwat1 akin to Mandarin jīnjú jīn gold ( from Middle Chinese kim ) jú mandarin orange ( from Middle Chinese kjyt ) ( probably akin to Khmer kwic )
- A small, orange citrus-like fruit which is native to Asia, Fortunella.