- The definition of knuckle is a joint at the hand or toe that sticks out when you make a fist.
The joint in the middle of your finger that sticks forward when you make a fist is an example of the knuckle.
These knuckles show the signs of arthritis.
knuckle definition by Webster's New World
- a joint of the finger; esp., the joint connecting a finger to the rest of the hand
- the rounded knob formed by the bones at such a joint
- the knee or hock joint and nearby parts of a pig or other animal, used as food
- something resembling a knuckle, as any of the projecting, cylindrical parts through which a pin is passed to form a hinge
- ☆ brass knuckles
- Archit. the central joint in a gambrel or curb roof
Origin: Middle English knokyl ; from or akin to Middle Dutch and amp; Middle Low German knokel, diminutive of knoke, bone ; from Indo-European an unverified form gneuĝ-: for Indo-European base see knot
knuckle definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. The prominence of the dorsal aspect of a joint of a finger, especially of one of the joints connecting the fingers to the hand.b. A rounded protuberance formed by the bones in a joint.
- A cut of meat centering on the carpal or tarsal joint, as of a pig.
- The part of a hinge through which the pin passes.
- A sharp angle formed by the meeting of two surfaces, especially two ship's timbers.
- knuckles Brass knuckles.
- To press, rub, or hit with the knuckles.
- To shoot (a marble) with the thumb over the bent forefinger.
Origin: Middle English knokel.
knuckle - Medical Definition
- The prominence of the dorsal aspect of a joint of a finger, especially of one of the joints that connect the fingers to the hand.
- A rounded protuberance formed by the bones in a joint.
- A kink or loop of intestine, as in a hernia.
knuckle - Phrases/Idioms
- to rest the knuckles on the ground in shooting a marble
- to work energetically or seriously