- a descendant of the early Dutch settlers of New York
- any New Yorker
- [k-] [pl.] knickers (sense ), as those worn by Dutch settlers of New York
Origin of Knickerbockerafter Diedrich Knickerbocker, fictitious Dutch author of Washington Irving's History of New York (1809)
- a. A descendant of the Dutch settlers of New York.b. A native or inhabitant of New York.
- knickerbockers Full breeches gathered and banded just below the knee; knickers.
Origin of KnickerbockerAfter Diedrich Knickerbocker , fictitious author of History of New York by Washington Irving
- 1905, Daniel Leavens Cady, Stray Breaths of North East Song
- His knickerbocker days are gone, / His last long stockings laid away: / My baby has his trousers on, — / My boy becomes a man to-day.