- The definition of a kermis is a carnival or fair, particularly in the Belgium, the Netherlands, northern France and western Germany.
An example of a kermis is a yearly church fair which is held to earn money for charity.
People on a ride at a kermis.
kermis definition by Webster's New World
- in the Netherlands, Belgium, etc., an outdoor fair or carnival
- ☆ any somewhat similar fair or entertainment, held usually for charity
kermis definition by American Heritage Dictionary
also ker·mess or kir·messnoun
- An outdoor fair in the Low Countries.
- A fundraising fair or carnival.
Origin: Dutch, from Middle Dutch kercmisse, Mass on the anniversary of a church dedication (on which day was held a yearly fair) : kerc, church (ultimately from Late Greek kūriakon, kūrikon (dōma), (house) of the lord; see Church ) + misse, Mass (from Late Latin missa; see mass ).