Origin of Kauaifrom Haw, probably desert
An island of Hawaii northwest of Oahu. It was an independent royal domain when visited by Capt. James Cook in 1778 and became part of the kingdom of Hawaii in 1810.
- M., distributed as follows: Hawaii, 4210; Maui, 728; Oahu, about 600; Kauai, 547; Molokai, 261; Lanai, 139; Niihau, 97; Kahoolawe, 69.
- Kauai, 63 m.
- Towards the close of the 19th century William Hillebrand found 365 genera and 999 species, and of this number of species 653 were peculiar to this part of the Pacific. The number of species is greatest on the older islands, particularly Kauai and Oahu, and the total number for the group has been constantly increasing, some being introduced, others possibly being produced by the varying climatic conditions from those already existing.
- The smaller yellow feathers, once used for the war cloaks of the native chiefs, were furnished by the oo (Moho nobilis) and the as (Moho braccatus), now found only occasionally in the valleys of Kauai near Hanalei, on the N.
- In the older valleys on the islands of Kauai, Oahu and Maui, as well as on the lowland plain of Molokai, the soil is deeper and usually, too, the moisture is retained by a heavy clay.