- a tall evergreen tree (Agathis australis) of the pine family, growing in New Zealand
- its wood
- a resin (, ) from this tree, often found as a fossil, used in varnishes, adhesives, and linoleum
See kauri in American Heritage Dictionary 4
noun pl. kau·ris
- Any of several coniferous evergreen trees of the genus Agathis, especially A. australis of New Zealand, having broad leathery leaves.
- The white close-grained wood of one of these trees.
- A resinous copal or a fossilized resin of these trees, used in varnishes and enamels.
Origin: Maori kawri
Learn more about kauri