- : in these senses, regarded as contemptuous
- a member of any of several Bantu-speaking peoples of S Africa
- South Afr. a black African: a contemptuous term
Origin of KaffirArabic k?fir, infidel ; from present participle of kafara, to be irreligious
nounpl. Kaffir or Kaf·firs also kaffir or kaf·firs
- Offensive a. A Xhosa.b. Used especially in southern Africa as a disparaging term for a black person.
- Often Offensive A Kafir.
Origin of KaffirArabic kafir, infidel (applied to the non-Muslim peoples of southern Africa originally by Muslim merchants and slave-traders operating in the region before the arrival of Europeans); see giaour.
- (South Africa, pejorative, offensive, ethnic slur) A black person.
From Arabic كفار (kaffār, “infidel”) or كافر (kāfir, “unbeliever”), both from كفر (káfara, “to cover, to hide”).