The definition of junk science is inaccurate or false studies, data and analysis which is used to create a biased opinion or to push a political agenda.
An example of junk science is a study funded by the tobacco industry that finds second hand smoke isn't harmful.
(countable and uncountable, plural junk sciences)
- (uncountable, pejorative) Assertions that have the appearance, but not the actuality, of scientific support.
- His testimony was worse than science fiction: it was junk science.
- (countable, pejorative) A cluster of assertions, publications, and experts that have the appearance, but not the actuality, of a scientific specialty.
- A label used to attempt to discredit expert testimony and claimed scientific support for positions taken on some matters of public policy.
- Not usually applied to the scientific implausibility of elements of science fiction.