Variant of invocation
- the act of calling on God, a god, a saint, the Muses, etc. for blessing, help, inspiration, support, or the like
- a formal prayer used in invoking, as at the beginning of a church service
- a formal plea for aid from a Muse, god, etc., at the beginning of an epic or similar poem
- a conjuring of evil spirits
- an incantation used in conjuring
Origin: OFr from Classical Latin invocatio from past participle of invocare: see invoke
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.