- The act or process of invaginating or the condition of being invaginated.
- An invaginated organ or part.
- Embryology The infolding of a portion of the outer layer of a blastula in the formation of a gastrula.
- (medicine) The process where an anatomical part invaginates upon itself or into another structure.
- One of the methods by which the various germinal layers of the ovum are differentiated.
Variant of invaginate
transitive verbinvaginated, invaginating
- to place or receive into a sheath
Origin of invaginate; from Medieval Latin invaginatus, past participle of invaginare ; from Classical Latin in-, in + vagina, a sheath
- to become invaginated
- to grow inward to form a hollow or cavity, as in the formation of a gastrula