- Insolvent is defined as being bankrupt and unable to pay debts.
A person who has $10 and owes $100 is an example of someone who is insolvent.
- The definition of an insolvent is a person who is bankrupt or unable to pay his or her debts.
A person who owes $100 but who only has $10 is an example of an insolvent.
- not solvent; unable to pay debts as they become due; bankrupt
- not enough to pay all debts: an insolvent inheritance
- of insolvents or insolvency
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- a. Unable to meet debts or discharge liabilities; bankrupt.b. Insufficient to meet all debts, as an estate or fund.
- Of or relating to bankrupt persons or entities.