incestuous[in ses′tyo̵̅o̅ əs, -c̸ho̵̅o̅-]
- The definition of incestuous is an overly close relationship that seems improper, or inappropriate sexual behavior between family members.
- When two people who grew up together and who were always overly close begin a love affair that seems inappropriate, this is an example of an incestuous relationship.
- When two siblings have a sexual relationship, this is an example of an incestuous relationship.
- guilty of incest
- of, or having the nature of, incest
- designating or characterized by a relationship of exceptional closeness or interrelation, often one regarded as unproductive, unseemly, etc.: an incestuous community of expatriates
Origin of incestuousLate Latin incestuosus
- Of, involving, or suggestive of incest.
- Having committed incest.
- Improperly intimate or interconnected: “Press–politics relations are notoriously incestuous” (Boston Globe).
(comparative more incestuous, superlative most incestuous)
incest + -ous