- general moral excellence; right action and thinking; goodness or morality
- a specific moral quality regarded as good or meritorious
- chastity, esp. in a woman
- excellence in general; merit: the virtue in planning ahead
- a good quality or feature: the virtues of teaching as a profession
- effective power or force; efficacy; esp., the ability to heal or strengthen: the virtue of a medicine
- Now Rare manly quality; strength, courage, etc.
ME vertue < OFr vertu, virtue, goodness, power < L virtus, manliness, worth < vir, man: see werewolf