(id′ē ō gram′, -ē ə-; ī′dē-)
- a graphic symbol representing an object or idea without expressing, as in a phonetic system, the sounds that form its name
- a symbol representing an idea rather than a word (Ex.: 5, +, ÷)
ideo- + -gram
See ideogram in American Heritage Dictionary 4
- A character or symbol representing an idea or a thing without expressing the pronunciation of a particular word or words for it, as in the traffic sign commonly used for “no parking” or “parking prohibited.” Also called ideograph.
- See logogram.
- A graphic symbol, such as &, $, or @.
- idˌe·o·gram·matˈic (-grə-mătˈĭk) adjective
- idˌe·o·gram·matˈi·cal·ly adverb
Learn more about ideogram