hypercorrection[hī′pər kə rek′s̸hən]
a nonstandard usage resulting from an overly conscious effort to avoid an error, as in the case of personal pronouns (Ex.: “between you and I”)
- A construction or pronunciation produced by mistaken analogy with standard usage out of a desire to be correct, as in the substitution of I for me in on behalf of my parents and I.
- The production of such a construction or pronunciation.
- Since it is often a matter of some debate whether a given form is standard or correct, the use of the term hypercorrection is typically subjective.
- hypercorrect, hyper-correct
- hypercorrective, hyper-corrective
- hypercorrectness, hyper-correctness