- the cleaning of the furniture, floors, woodwork, etc. of a house
Origin of housecleaningsee the phrase clean house (at house) a getting rid of superfluous things, unwanted personnel, undesirable conditions, etc.
- The cleaning and tidying of a house and its contents.
- Informal Removal of unwanted personnel, methods, or policies in an effort at reform or improvement.
(countable and uncountable, plural housecleanings)
- Collectively, the tasks involved with cleaning a house; the practice of cleaning a house.
- If you do not keep up with the housecleaning, you will soon have a huge mess.
- Present participle of houseclean.