- A vacuum cleaner (irrespective of brand).
(third-person singular simple present hoovers, present participle hoovering, simple past and past participle hoovered)
- (UK) To clean (a room, etc) with a vacuum cleaner, irrespective of brand.
- I need to hoover this room.
- (intransitive, UK) To use a vacuum cleaner, irrespective of brand.
- My husband is upstairs, hoovering.
- To suck in or inhale, as if by a vacuum cleaner.
The common noun and verb are taken from the brand name Hoover of one of the first vacuum cleaners.
- A vacuum cleaner of the Hoover brand. Alternative form of hoover.
- An American surname (shared by several famous people including J Edgar Hoover and Herbert Hoover).