- a large barrel or cask holding from 63 to 140 gallons (c. 238.5 to c. 530 liters)
- any of various units of liquid measure, esp. one equal to 63 gallons or c. 52.5 imperial gallons (c. 238.5 liters)
Origin of hogsheadMiddle English hoggeshede, literally , hog's head: reason for name uncertain
- Abbr. hhd Any of various units of volume or capacity ranging from 63 to 140 gallons (238 to 530 liters), especially a unit of capacity used in liquid measure in the United States equal to 63 gallons (238 liters).
- A large barrel or cask with this capacity.
- An English measure of capacity for liquids, containing 63 wine gallons, or about 52 1/2 imperial gallons; a half pipe.
- A large cask or barrel, of indefinite contents; especially one containing from 100 to 140 gallons.