nounpl. -·eys or -·ies
- Informal any device or gadget; doohickey
- a tool used for bending pipe
- a coupling for electrical fixtures
- Informal a pimple or pustule
- Slang a bruise made on the skin from sucking, as in lovemaking
Origin of hickeyorigin, originally United States dialect, dialectal
nounpl. hick·eys Informal
- A device or contrivance; a gadget.
- a. A reddish mark on the skin caused by amorous kissing, biting, or sucking.b. A pimple.
- A pipe-bending apparatus.
- A threaded electrical fitting used to connect a fixture to an outlet box.
Origin of hickeyOrigin unknown
- (US, slang) A bruise-like mark made during petting by pressing the mouth to the skin on one’s partner’s body and sucking.
- (informal, slang) an object whose name is unknown or cannot be recalled.
- (printing) A printing defect caused by foreign matter on the printing surface resulting in a ring where the ink is missing, appearing as a spot of ink surrounded by a halo.
- Local swelling in a tissue area, especially skin, often due to injury.
- A tool for making smooth, semicircular bends in conduit and pipe.
- An Irish surname anglicised from Ó hÍcidhe (“descendant of a person named Healer”).