heavy metalheavy metal
- any metal or alloy having a specific gravity greater than 5.0
- a form of rock music performed typically on guitars and drums and characterized by loud amplification, electronic distortion, shouted lyrics, etc.
- A metal with a specific gravity greater than about 5.0, especially one that is poisonous, such as lead or mercury.
- Music Very loud, brash rock music, often with shouted, violent lyrics.
- Any metal that has a specific gravity greater than about 5, especially one, such as lead, that is poisonous and may be a hazard in the environment.
- (music) A genre descended from rock music, characterized by massive sound, highly amplified distortion, and overall loudness, often with extended guitar solos, and lyrics that involve violent or fantastic imagery.
heavy metal - Computer Definition
- Also known as big iron. The colloquial term for early generations of mainframe computers, PBXs, and central offices (COs). Prior to the advent of electronic common control (ECC) and miniaturized semiconductor circuitry, such systems contained a lot of metal and were quite heavy, indeed. Fans of heavy metal are known as old computer guys. See also forklift upgrade and mainframe computer.
- A subgenre of really loud rock music dominated by really loud drums and really loud guitars, strong really loud rhythms, and a really loud bluesy style played by really loud bands like Iron Butterfly, Iron Maiden, Led Zeppelin, and Metallica. Fans of heavy metal are known as head bangers and metalheads.