- 1662, anonymous, Rump, page #73:
- Yet ’cause the Rout will have’t perform’d by you,
- And long to see done what they dare not Doe.
- 1698, L. Menton, William Coward, Matthew Prior & John Oldham, Money Maſters all Things, page #75:
- Then other whiles for outer Soles they raiſe,
- Such poor thin Hides by their unlawful ways,
- Which they well know, for ſuch uſe are not fit,
- Theſe Crafts they uſe more Money for to get,
- Than lawful ways can compaſs them, or bring :
- And thus we ſee Money’s the only thing
- At which all Trades and Myſteries do look,
- And are reſolv’d to have’t by Hook or Crook.