- A separate wing of a Muslim house where all of the women live is an example of a harem.
- A group of five women who all share one man as a lover are an example of a harem.
The definition of a harem is the quarters in a Muslim home where wives, concubines and female servants live, or a group of women who share one man.
- that part of a Muslim household in which the women live; seraglio
- the wives, concubines, women servants, etc. occupying a harem
- a number of female animals, as of fur seals, who mate and lodge with one male
Origin of haremArabic ?ar?m, literally , prohibited (place, thing) from ?arama, to forbid
- A house or a section of a house reserved for women members of a Muslim household.
- The wives, concubines, female relatives, and servants occupying such a place.
- A group of women who are sexual partners of the same man.
- A group of female animals that breed exclusively with a single dominant male.
Origin of haremTurkish partly from Arabic haram forbidden, sacrosanct and partly from Arabic harīm forbidden place both from harama to prohibit &xlowdot;rm
- The private part of an Arab household. In traditional Arab culture, this part of the household was forbidden to male strangers.
- A group of women, wives and/or concubines in a polygamous household.
- A group of female animals (cows) herded and controlled by a male animal (bull) of that species for breeding purposes. Such behaviour is exhibited by bovids including cattle and buffalo as well as moose, elephants, seals, sea lions, sea elephants.