- a polypeptide hormone of the anterior part of the pituitary gland, that promotes normal growth
- any of various substances that promote growth, as of plants or beef cattle
growth hormonegrowth hormone
- Any of various natural or synthetic substances that regulate the growth of animals or plants.
- Abbr. GH Any of such natural substances in vertebrates, consisting of polypeptide hormones that are secreted by the pituitary gland and promote growth of the body, especially by stimulating release of somatomedins. Also called somatotropic hormone . Also called somatotropin .
- See human growth hormone.