- the quality or state of being gigantic
- abnormally great growth of the body, due to an excessive production of growth hormone by the anterior lobe of the pituitary gland
Origin of gigantismsee gigantic and -ism
- The quality or state of being gigantic; abnormally large size.
- Excessive growth of the body or any of its parts, especially as a result of oversecretion of the growth hormone by the pituitary gland. Also called giantism .
(countable and uncountable, plural gigantisms)
- The quality or state of being gigantic; being of abnormally large size.
- A condition where there is over-production of growth hormone by the pituitary gland in a child before the bone growth plates close, resulting in excessive long bone growth, accompanied by muscular weakness and sexual impotence.