grande damegrande dame
a woman, esp. an older one, of great dignity or prestige
Origin of grande dameFr, great lady
nounpl. grandes dames, also grand dames
- A highly respected elderly or middle-aged woman.
- A respected woman having extensive experience in her field: the grande dame of women's professional tennis.
- A building or institution regarded as noteworthy on account of its age and historic prominence.
Origin of grande dameFrench grande great dame lady
(plural grandes dames)
- A woman who is socially prominent, respected, and experienced, especially one who is haughty and advanced in age.
- A woman who is accomplished, influential, and a senior figure in a particular field.
- (figuratively, by extension) A well-known, very highly regarded institution, structure, or large conveyance, such as a hotel or ship.
From French grande dame.