- of knowledge; specif., of gnosis
- [usuallyG-] of Gnostics or Gnosticism
Origin of gnosticClassical Greek gn?stikos from gn?sis: see gnosis
Origin of gnosticLL(Ec) gnosticus < Gr gn?stikos
- gnostic Of, relating to, or possessing intellectual or spiritual knowledge.
- Of or relating to Gnosticism.
Origin of GnosticLate Latin Gnōsticus a Gnostic from Late Greek Gnōstikos from Greek gnōstikos concerning knowledge from gnōsis knowledge ; see gnosis .
- Alternative capitalization of Gnostic.
From Ancient Greek γνωστικός (gnōstikos, “relating to knowledge”), from γνωστός (gnōstos, “known”), from γιγνώσκω (gignōskō, “I know”).