- a person born or living in Friesland or the Frisian Islands
- a member of an ancient Germanic people of N Holland
- the West Germanic language spoken by the Frisians, closely related to Dutch and Old English
Origin of Frisianfrom Classical Latin Frisii, the Frisians from Old Frisian Frisa from Germanic an unverified form frisi, curl: so named from their hair style
- A native or inhabitant of the Frisian Islands or Friesland.
- The West Germanic language of the Frisians. It is the language most closely related to English.
Origin of FrisianFrom Latin Frīsiī the Frisians of Germanic origin
- A Germanic language group or language (see Usage notes), or a lect thereof, which descended from Old Frisian, with speakers in the Netherlands, Germany and Denmark.
- (specifically) The West Frisian lect, spoken in the northern Netherlands.
- (specifically) Saterland Frisian, the last surviving dialect of the East Frisian lect, spoken in Northern Germany close to the Dutch border.
- (specifically) The North Frisian lect, spoken in Germany and Denmark at the mutual border in Schleswig and Holstein.
Some linguists consider West Frisian, Saterland Frisian, and North Frisian to be varieties of a single language called “Frisian”. As they are not mutually intelligible, other linguists and the speakers consider them to be separate languages in a language group called “Frisian”. Saterland Frisian is also known as “East Frisian”, but this term more often refers to a Low German dialect, because the Low German dialect has a far greater number of speakers than the Frisian lect.
- A member of the Germanic ethnic group which is native to the region of Frisia (which is in the Netherlands, northern Germany, and southern Denmark).
- A person who is from or who has long resided in the Dutch province of Friesland.
(comparative more Frisian, superlative most Frisian)
- Of, in or relating to the Frisian language or a Frisian language.
- Because the instruction manual was Frisian, Yves couldn't read it.
- Of or relating to the natives or inhabitants of Frisia; to people of Frisian descent.
- Of or relating to the region of Frisia.
- Of or relating to the natives or inhabitants of the Dutch province of Friesland.
- Of or relating to the Dutch province of Friesland.