- The definition of a flexitarian is someone who is mostly vegetarian, but occasionally eats meat.
A person who only eats vegetables but once a month eats a steak is an example of a flexitarian.
flexitarian definition by American Heritage Dictionary
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
One who normally maintains a vegetarian diet but occasionally makes exceptions and eats meat or fish.
Of or relating to a diet that is primarily vegetarian but includes meat or fish on occasion.
Origin of flexitarianflexi(ble) + (vege)tarian.
flexitarian definition by Wiktionary
(comparative more flexitarian, superlative most flexitarian)
- (of a person) Being a flexitarian.
- (of food, a diet, or the like) Being what a flexitarian might eat.
- One who is usually or primarily vegetarian, but who is not strictly so.
- This term is sometimes used pejoratively by strict vegetarians.
- Many strict vegetarians dislike this term, believing that one is either vegetarian or non-vegetarian.