fig leaffig leaf
- a leaf of a fig tree
- a representation of such a leaf used, as in sculpture, to conceal the genitals of a nude
- any blatant or inadequate attempt to cover up or disguise something
- A stylized representation of the leaf of a fig, used especially to conceal genitals depicted in works of art.
- Something that serves as a usually insufficient concealment or camouflage: “Many fallen executives are still allowed the fig leaf of 'resignation'” ( David Pauly )
(plural fig leaves)
- A leaf of the fig plant.
- A representation of leaf of a fig plant used to cover the genitals of a nude figure in a work of art (alluding to Genesis iii 7, in which Adam and Eve use fig leaves to hide their nakedness).
- (figuratively) Anything used to conceal something undesirable or that one does not want to be discovered.
- Alternative spelling of fig leaf.