The British farthing.
- a former small British coin, equal to one fourth of a penny
- a thing of little value; the least amount
Origin of farthingMiddle English ferthing ; from Old English feorthing, literally , a fourthling, fourth part, diminutive of feortha, fourth
- Abbr. f. A coin formerly used in Great Britain worth one fourth of a penny.
- Something of little value.
Origin of farthingMiddle English ferthing, from Old English fēorthung; see kwetwer- in Indo-European roots.
- Former British unit of currency worth one-quarter of an old penny.