- The definition of an extravaganza is an elaborate party, festival or artistic fantasy.
An example of an extravaganza is a huge circus.
- a literary, musical, or dramatic fantasy characterized by a loose structure and farce
- a spectacular, elaborate theatrical production, as some musicals
Origin: respelled by analogy with Classical Latin ex- ; from Italian estravaganza, extravagance ; from estravagante ; from Midieval Latin extravagans: see extravagant
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- An elaborate, spectacular entertainment or display: “Washington is an extravaganza of great buildings, greenery, and monuments” (Larry Griffin).
- Music A composition marked by freedom and diversity of form, often with burlesque elements and satirical or parodic intent.
Origin: Italian estravaganza, extravagance, from estravagante, extravagant, from Medieval Latin extrāvagāns, extrāvagant-, present participle of extrāvagārī, to wander; see extravagant.