- Having the capacity to be expanded.
- an expandable baton
- an expandable tree of data on a computer display
- Anything that can be expanded.
- Mobile homes include doublewides, expandables, and single units.
expand + -able
Variant of expand
- to spread out; open out; stretch out; unfold: the eagle expanded its wings
- to make greater in size, bulk, scope, etc.; enlarge; dilate; extend
- to enlarge upon (a topic, idea, etc.); develop in detail
- to work out or show the full form of (a contraction, mathematical equation, etc.)
Origin of expandMiddle English expanden ; from Classical Latin expandere ; from ex-, out + pandere, to spread, extend; akin to patere: see fathom
- to become expanded; spread out, unfold, enlarge, etc.
- to become affable, warmly communicative, etc.