- The definition of exogenous is developing from the outside.
An example of exogenous used as an adjective is in the phrase "an exogenous shell," which means a shell on the outside.
- developing from without; originating externally
- Biol. of or relating to external factors, as food or light, that have an effect upon an organism
Origin of exogenousexogen + -ous
- Originating externally: an exogenous model of economic growth.
- Originating or produced from outside a cell, tissue, or organism: exogenous antioxidants.
Origin of exogenousFrench exogène : Greek exō-, exo- + French -gène, -gen.