eleventh[ē lev′ənt̸h, i-]
eleventh definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- preceded by ten others in a series; 11th
- designating any of the eleven equal parts of something
Origin: Middle English elleventhe ; from Old English endlyfta: see eleven and amp; -th
- the one following the tenth
- any of the eleven equal parts of something;
in the eleventh place, rank, etc.
eleventh definition by American Heritage Dictionary
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- The ordinal number matching the number 11 in a series.
- One of 11 equal parts.
- e·levˈenth adverb & adj.
eleventh - Phrases/Idioms
at the eleventh hour
Etymology: < Matt. 20:1-16
at the last moment; just before it is too late