- the lower side or part
- a downward trend or financial loss, as on an investment
- any or all of the drawbacks or disadvantages
The downside is defined as the negative aspects or the disadvantages of something.
An example of the downside of home ownership is the costs and expenses with home upkeep.
- The lower side or portion.
- A disadvantageous aspect: an option with a downside as well as benefits.
- A downward tendency, as in the price of a stock.
- It is nothing but downside for them.
- The downside of the success was unwanted publicity.
- By Edmund Bishop in Downside Review (1886).
- The downside of setting up identities was that someone would learn more detail about us than we'd previously released.
- The downside was someone always managed to hit Jackson with a bullet or two or drive a knife into him, and break the tip off in a bone.