dominical[dō min′i kəl, də-]
- having to do with or originating with Jesus as the Lord
- having to do with the Lord's Day (Sunday)
Origin of dominicalMiddle English ; from Ecclesiastical Medieval Latin dominicalis, of the Lord (Jesus) ; from Ecclesiastical Late Latin Dominicus, of the Lord ; from Classical Latin belonging to a master ; from dominus, a master: see dominate
- Of or associated with Jesus as the Lord.
- Relating to Sunday as the Lord's day.
Origin of dominicalLate Latin dominicālis, from Latin dominicus, of a lord, from dominus, lord; see dem- in Indo-European roots.
- (rare) Pertaining to the day of the Lord (i.e., Jesus): Sunday.
- Pertaining to the dominical letter, an ancient system for determining Sundays (especially Easter Sunday) in any given year.
- (obsolete) Sunday
- (obsolete) The Lord's Prayer.