- Relating to a doctorate.
Variant of doctor
- Archaic a teacher or learned man
- a person who holds a doctorate
- a physician or surgeon (MD)
- a person licensed to practice any of the healing arts, as an osteopath, dentist, veterinarian, etc.
- a title used in addressing any person who holds a doctorate
- a witch doctor or medicine man
- a makeshift device, apparatus, etc., for emergency use
- a bright-colored artificial fly used in fishing
Origin of doctorMiddle English doctour, teacher, learned man ; from Old French or ; from Classical Latin doctor, teacher ; from past participle of docere, to teach: see decent
- to try to heal; apply medicine to
- to repair; mend
- to make suitable or improve by altering in a certain way
- to tamper with or change in order to deceive: to doctor accounts
- Informal to practice medicine
- ☆ Dialectal to undergo medical treatment, take medicine, etc.