a graduated metal rod for measuring the depth of a substance in its container, as of oil in a crankcase
- A graduated rod for measuring the depth or amount of liquid in a container, as of oil in a crankcase.
- Slang A person regarded as foolish or contemptible.
- A stick or rod used to measure the depth of a liquid. Often used to check the level at which a liquid in an opaque or inaccessible tank or reservoir stands; gauge.
- I haven't checked the oil level of my car's motor since I lost the dipstick three months ago.
- (slang) A penis.
- (slang) A useless person.
- (slang, euphemistic) A dipshit.
- (slang, UK) A person of inferior intellect or, more accurately, someone who makes an action that would imply this.
- That referee is a right dipstick.