The city consists of two parts; the modern French town, built on the level ground by the seashore, and the ancient city of the deys, which climbs the steep hill behind the modern town and is crowned by the kasbah or citadel, 400 ft.
The kasbah was begun in 1516 on the site of an older building, and served as the palace of the deys until the French conquest.
Within this harbour is the small harbour of the deys, now transformed into a wet dock.
Algiers was a walled city from the time of the deys until the close of the 19th century.
The government of the Deys lasted till 1705, but vas soon narrowed or overshadowed by the authority of the Beys, whose Beys.