- to take away the sensitivity of; make less sensitive
- to make (a photographic plate or film) less sensitive to light
- Med. to make (a person, animal, or tissue) nonreactive or nonallergic to a substance by removing the antibodies from sensitized cells
transitive verbde·sen·si·tized, de·sen·si·tiz·ing, de·sen·si·tiz·es
- To render insensitive or less sensitive.
- Immunology To make (an individual) nonreactive or insensitive to an antigen.
- To make emotionally insensitive or unresponsive, as by long exposure or repeated shocks: “This movie in effect may resensitize people who thought they were desensitized to violence” (Steven Spielberg).
- To make (a photographic film or substance) less sensitive to light.