- The definition of a denominator means something that is shared, or is the standard, or the number below the line in a fraction.
- An example of a denominator is the red hair color shared by all members of a family.
- An example of a denominator is a common level of writing expected in a composition class.
- An example of a denominator is the "2" in the fraction "½."
- Now Rare a person or thing that denominates
- a shared characteristic
- the usual level; standard
- Math. the term below or to the right of the line in a fraction; the divisor of the numerator: 7 is the denominator of
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Mathematics The expression written below the line in a common fraction that indicates the number of parts into which one whole is divided.
- A common trait or characteristic.
- An average level or standard: The success of the film demonstrates the denominator of public taste.
denominator - Cultural Definition
denominator - Science Definition
Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.