- An example of a denominator is the red hair color shared by all members of a family.
- An example of a denominator is a common level of writing expected in a composition class.
- An example of a denominator is the "2" in the fraction "½."
- Now Rare a person or thing that denominates
- a shared characteristic
- the usual level; standard
- Math. the term below or to the right of the line in a fraction: 4 is the denominator of
- Mathematics The expression written below the line in a common fraction that indicates the number of parts into which one whole is divided.
- A common trait or characteristic.
- An average level or standard: The success of the film demonstrates the denominator of public taste.
From Late Latin dēnōminātor (“that which names”).