- shaped like a delta; triangular
- designating or of a large, triangular muscle which covers the shoulder and raises the arm away from the side
Origin of deltoidClassical Greek deltoeid?s: see delta and -oid
the deltoid muscle
- A thick triangular muscle covering the shoulder joint, used to raise the arm from the side.
- See kite.
- a. Triangular.b. Having the shape of a geometric kite.
- Of or relating to the deltoid.
Origin of deltoidNew Latin deltoīdēs from Greek deltoeidēs triangular delta delta ; see delta . -oeidēs -oid
- The deltoid muscle, a triangular muscle on the human shoulder.
- The deltoid ligament, a triangular ligament on the human ankle.
From deltoideus, which was in turn from Ancient Greek adjective δελτοειδής (deltoeidēs). See also: δέλτα (delta) the fourth letter of the Greek alphabet.